Biography of Emma Rosina TUCK
Emma Rosina TUCK
|Ancestors||Profile||Connections||Index for TUCK|
Emma Rosina Tuck was born in the West Brompton district of Islington, London in the summer of 1861. She was the sixth of the eight children of George and Elizabeth Tuck.
In 1871, the family were living at 71 Windsor Street in Islington, Middlesex and were still there when the census of 1881 was taken. Emma was then working as a Flower Maker.
At some time in the following few years, Emma had moved to Wolverhampton where she met Alfred Dexter. They had a daughter, Rose Elizabeth, who was born on 31 August 1887, at which time they were living in Cropston, Leicestershire.
The census of 1891 shows Emma and Alfred living as husband and wife with their daughter at 22 Devonshire Street, Leicester. However, just months later, Alfred married Emma Cook (née Cook), in Wolverhampton. Three years later, Emma herself married widower Thomas Blencowe in Wolverhampton who brought with him daughter Mabel from his first marriage. The marriage certificate showed Emma as a spinster and no name was recorded for her father. Her occupation was given as Tailoress.
Son Ernest Mornington was born the same year then daughter Clara in 1898.
In 1901 the family were living at 5 Lewes Street in Wolverhampton, and Emma was a Tailoress. Daughter Dorothy was born the following year. In 1911 they were living at 7 Sidney Street, Wolverhampton. Emma's daughter Rose was living with her granny Dexter at that time.
That same year, Emma made a Statutory Declaration with husband Thomas with regard to the legitimacy of her daughter Rose Elizabeth. When Rose was born, Emma had registered her with the surname Dexter despite the fact that she and Alfred were not married. The declaration meant that Rose would thereafter be known by the surname Tuck.
Her husband Thomas died in 1922. The 1939 register shows Emma sharing accommodation at 5½ The Vine, Wolverhampton with Sidney and Dorothy Bate. Her son Ernest and his family were living nearby in number 7.
Emma passed away in Wolverhampton in 1948.
|Top of page|